Mikes Random Musings

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

This post gets a little introspective and whiny. Feel free to skip.

I am currently reading Henry Rollins - Get In The Van. It's journal entries from when he was on the road with Black Flag back in the early 80's.

Two things have come from my reading of this book.

First is, I have a new respect for how hardcore Henry is. I mean, he has always come across as a hardcore kinda guy, but looking at the shit he put up with to do something he knew he loved. He had a steady job, somewhere to live & friends around him, he gave this all up, to basically live on the streets and sing for a band. Life on the road meant he never had enough sleep, he was moving all the time, he was targeted by the cops, and most of the time he didn't have a place to stay, or money for food. Even though things were hard, he kept doing it, because he knew he enjoyed it and his life wouldn't have as much meaning if he quit.

The second revelation came when I looked at my life in comparison with this book. I am working my ass off here and I hate it. I mean I love the work, I just don't like devoting my entire life to it (I mean that literally). Then I read this book, and realise that I have it pretty good in comparison. When I finish, I can go home. I have somewhere to sleep, I have money for food, and I am doing what I enjoy.

So, I guess what I realised is, no matter how bad I feel about what I am doing I need to remember, it could be worse.

The other thing I found in this book were some photo's of Henry and Nick Cave together in the early 80's. Damn, they are two scary individuals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home